Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Never a Dull Moment

As anyone in our family knows, when Kari and I get together for any period of time, there is always something that happens or a funny story to tell.

This weekend was no different!

I got up early on Saturday and left Caden with Mom and Dad and headed to Kari's to help her decorate and set up for the kids' birthday party. It was hotter than (well you know) and so we were sweating our lungs out moving tables and arranging stuff. The delivery people set up the bounce house and water slide while Kari was still asleep (she was unaware they showed up) and they ended up putting the bounce house in a location where Kari had planned to put tables. We decided that it had to be moved to the place Kari originally designated for it! Kari and I 'un-staked" the bounce house and turned off the compressor and we waited for it to deflate. When Kari walked to the side of the bounce house, she screamed and did this crazy dance and said, 'Oh My Gosh! I just saw a tail!' I inquired further and determined she saw 'something' with a tail run under the bounce house. At this point we had already deflated the thing and jerked the stakes out of the ground. We regrouped and decided to drag it to the spot she chose...QUICKLY DRAG IT!

We got it in the right place and turned on the compressor and then walked over to the first area to grab the stakes that we had on the ground. I leaned over to grab my stake and screamed and did a crazy little dance and said, 'Oh my gosh! I saw it too! It's a snake or something it's slimy, it's black, Oh My Gosh, Oh My Gosh, Oh My Gosh!' Kari and I were freaking out, and if anyone knows Kari and I you know that I would rather DIE than be near a lizard and she feels the same by a snake. Given the fact we had no idea what it was when I had my freak out dance, we were both scared to death.

Kari spotted it after I ran away and I looked at it too and decided that it must die! I said 'DO YOU HAVE A HOE?' She ran into the garage with this frightened look on her face and said 'I HAVE THIS!' while holding up a shovel. In my mind a shovel wouldn't work because I would have had to be standing over it to kill it. I wanted a hoe so I could sling it down onto the lizard/snake thing. She then said 'I HAVE A PICK AXE!' I said, 'BRING IT!' then I determined that wouldn't do the job either, so she said, 'I'm going to get Dennis!' Dennis and Amy are their next door neighbors. So it was my job while she was running to get him, to keep my eyes on what we termed the 'snake head lizard'. As I stared at it while she was running away, the thing's head pivoted like a snake would. I screamed, 'IT MOVED!' Kari yelled over her shoulder, 'IS IT GONE? IT'S GONE! IS IT GONE?' I pulled a Pat Nichols and began laughing hysterically! Why? I have no idea. I was scared out of my mind! I said, 'No, it just moved its head!' So she ran off and found out that Dennis was gone! When she ran back into the yard, the SHL (snake head lizard) took off running and climbed a tree. That is the closest instance EVER that I can recall where I seriously nearly wet my pants.

Anyway, somewhere in Greystone Hills there is a SHL running wild!

This picture is the closest thing I could find that matched what it looked like! However, our SHL was much bigger than this picture depicts!

4 comments:

The Stuart Family said...

Oh my GOSH!!! I would have freaked out too! I hate any type of creepy crawly things! ICK!! I can just picture you two out there screaming!

GiGi said...

I knew I should've been there! I'm pretty good at killing snakes so I think I could've nailed him with that shovel. Just wish I'd had a video of ya'll! Brings back old memories of life living in the woods. We have many snake stories to tell, huh girls!

Kari said...

I think that is a pretty good version of the story. I have never been so frantic in all my life! Good times, good times!!

Jamie said...

Ok so don't make the rest of us pee our pants reading this! You two are hysterical! I must say, I would have done the same thing though. Maybe next time just leave the darn bounce house where it is. :)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed