Thursday, August 4, 2011

Meet My 2 New Friends!

Mr. Meter and Mr. Stick are my 2 newest friends!  I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes yesterday!  No fun, but definitely something I can handle.  I say this after meeting with a diabetes counselor for 2 hours this morning.  Yesterday I might as well have been diagnosed with an incurable disease, or so conveyed my lovely Debbie Downer of an OB nurse when she gave me the news!

However, as of now I am happy to report that I will not have to give up sugar, starches or iced cookies from the Kroger bakery.  Just a few tweaks to WHEN I consume them is all I need based on my numbers.

For you savvy Glucose People, here were my results:

Fasting 74 (suppose to be under 95) PASSED
2nd stick 200 (suppose to be under 180) FAILED
3rd stick 159 (suppose to be under 155) FAILED
4th stick 67 (suppose to be under 140) PASSED

The counselor said I am just barely a patient, which was great news to someone who likes Kroger's frosted sugar cookies.

I will from here on out until the baby comes, need to monitor my ketones (urine levels) each morning and play with my 2 new friends pictured above to test my sugar levels 4X a day.

I'm confident that this is now not a death sentence for me as I had once thought yesterday morning!

3 comments:

Keeley said...

Sorry to hear you have to deal with that but I'm sure you'll do great and you know November will be here before you can hardly blink!

Amy McCormick said...

Amber, You may not remember me but I worked for Mark Warren whose office was next door to y'all on Oak Lawn. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing your little boy change as he gets older. Congratulations on baby #2. I, too, had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Haley. I freaked out at first because I thought if I ate the "wrong" thing I would hurt the baby. After talking to my doctor, I realized that wasn't true - I just had to tweak my diet a little bit. I am a HUGE chocoholic so it wasn't easy but it was definitely worth it to keep me and Haley healthy. The best thing was I didn't gain the usual end of pregnancy baby weight because I was eating healthy. As soon as Haley was born, my daddy brought me a Hershey's bar and it was SOOOO good! Believe it or not, pricking my finger even got easier and it became no big deal even though I despise needles. I'm praying for you as you adjust and for your newest miracle from God to be healthy! Amy McCormick

Jamie said...

First of all, how did I not know about your addiction to Kroger iced sugar cookies?! With that said, I will not be your "dealer" in the interest of your and BB2's health but the occassional dozen or so won't hurt, right?!

Good luck with the new friends but they'll never be as good as me! ;)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed