Friday, October 28, 2011

Our Birth Story

I cannot believe it has been almost a month since my last post!  Wow what an 'almost a month' it has been!  I wanted to document our birth story for Cameron and how it all happened from start to 'Welcome Cameron'!!!  

We checked in at Baylor at 6:00 a.m. on October 28th.  I was beyond ready as documented in my previous posts!  My Mom came into town as did my Dad so they were at our house and let Caden sleep in and then brought him to the hospital later on that morning.

We arrived and headed to Labor and Delivery.  De ja vu' from when we had our Cade Man!  Seemed like just yesterday!

Dr. Stevenson said she would arrive around 8 to break my water and we would go from there.  They started the IV and thankfully put it in the top of my hand rather than the side of my thumb as they did with Caden!  I still have these nerve 'zingers' that run up my arm if I hit my thumb just right!  

Dr. Stevenson broke my water, prior to my epidural, and she told me to ask for my epidural whenever I was ready for it.  She seriously had to still be in the Baylor parking lot leaving after breaking the water when I requested the epidural STAT!  I was in some serious pain and since there are no rewards or ribbons or Oprah appearances for women without an epidural and since I had one with Caden, it was go time for EPIDURAL!  The anesthesiologist arrived and had me lay on my side - with Caden I was sitting up leaning against Tim - so I laid on my left side and he started the epidural.  The pain seemed to ease off, but was still there just lingering on the surface.  I was all smiles ready to meet our Cameron when all of a sudden I felt like I had a knife in my side just below my ribs on the left side.  The nurse said, 'Yeah, I'm sure he has his little feet in your ribs.'  WRONG...I told her it did not feel like his feet in my ribs.  Then she said, 'Well you may still be feeling some contractions.'  WRONG...I told her it was not contractions but a constant pain.  I was in tears and literally hurting more than I have in my entire life!  They sent in another anesthesiologist who asked me to pinch my belly button.  I did and he asked if I felt it, and I did.  He told me I was not numb all the way and he added some more meds to the IV or epidural IV.  I'm not sure which as I was writhing in pain.  

Tim and Mom helped turn me to the other side hoping that would ease the pain.  It did nothing to help and I was starting to get worried.  Full on ugly cry was in effect and I was not a happy Mommy.  They sent the 2nd Dr. in 2 more times to add meds and finally the pain in my side started to go away.  The nurse checked me and realized the pain I felt was related to the fact that Cameron was CROWNING!  I knew it was go time when she asked Tim if he wanted to see the baby's head!  My Dr. was paged and she showed up just in time for me to push about 5 times and Cameron was here!

They had some issues with my placenta, etc, and it seemed forever before we were able to have Mom, Dad, Pat and Caden come in to meet Cameron!

Tim went to get Caden and he brought him in to meet his baby brother.  It was such a precious moment that I will not soon forget.  Caden walked in and I thought he would cry with happiness.  He said, 'Baby Cameron!'  so quietly and he walked up and crawled up in the bed with me to meet his new brother.

The first thing we noticed about Cameron was his big blue eyes.  Yes, I know all babies are born with blue eyes, but we knew from experience with Caden that this baby had BLUE eyes that would stay. Caden was born with brown/gray eyes and we all know he has those handsome brown eyes now.  Cameron's eyes were and are, a dark blue just like his Daddy's.  I was beyond thrilled to have a blue-eyed baby boy!

Most of our family says that he looks 'just like Caden did', I however think they could not look more different.  I guess it is just a Mommy thing.  The important thing was that he was here and I realized when I looked at him for the first time that I did have room in my heart to love another child.  

He tested positive for Coombs which is explained HERE.  I have 0+ blood type and he has A+ and that created a problem.  His sugar levels were off as well because of my gestational diabetes.  His numbers had to be 51 or better 3 times in a row as tested by pricking his heels.  If he did not have a number higher than 51, 3X in a row, they had to start the testing over again.  Let me tell you, he was a trooper, all the heel pricks were getting to Mommy, believe me!  After a night of feeding him every hour and a half to try and get his sugar levels back to normal, he finally tested correctly 3X in a row.  He also had jaundice which was being monitored as well.  I was so happy when all of that was behind us.

We were so happy to finally come home.  Daddy stayed home during my hospital stay so that he could hang out with Caden and keep his routine as normal as possible.  Mom stayed with me at the hospital which was nice.  My friend Kat who is a post-partem nurse was able to be my nurse while I was in the hospital which was very nice!

I will be updating the 'After Our Birth Story' story in the next few days.  There is always the 'rest of the story'!  Right now we are enjoying our Cameron and preparing the house for Christmas!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

It's never easy is it?! I'm just glad all is well and he is here! We waited so long to meet that sweet boy!

It's great that you blogged this. You would think that you would remember this whole ordeal FOREVER but it fades over time. Always good to have something to refer to.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed