Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Keep Your Shoe On!

Caden's new thing is to kick his shoe off, particularly the right one. It does not matter if we are in the car or out shopping or at a restaurant, it is going to come off. Tonight I stopped by Kroger to pick up a few things and had Caden in the shopping cart. Sure enough somewhere over by the yogurt, off came the right shoe. I picked it up and said 'No, No, Caden. LEAVE YOUR SHOE ON!' Once again off it came over on the cereal aisle. There was a lady looking at some cereal a few feet from us and I picked up the shoe and once again said, 'No! No! Caden. LEAVE YOUR SHOE ON!' As soon as I put it back on him, off it came before I even pushed the cart. I said, 'CADEN!? DO YOU WANT A SPANKING???' -as if any kid really WANTS one-which leads me on a tangent. MY PARENTS USED TO SAY THIS TO US AS KIDS, SO ONCE AGAIN I JUST SPOUTED IT OUT OF MY MOUTH. I mean what kid is going to say 'Why Yes Mother, I'd love one, thank you.' To that I tell you...Caden Cole Ivey did. He said, 'Yap!' I see the woman in my peripheral vision cover her mouth to keep from laughing out loud. I thought, Oh how cute...Caden doesn't know what he's really saying... To test him I said really condescendingly, 'You want a spanking' as if to confirm. He said, 'YAP!' The kid completely used reverse psychology on me. At this point I had a decision to make...3 Options actually, 1) Keep my word and spank him and hope the woman on the cereal aisle doesn't call C.P.S. (you really never know these days), 2) Ignore him and assume he doesn't really know what he's saying, or 3) PICK UP THE SHOE AND BEAT HIM OVER THE HEAD WITH IT. I chose Option 1 and swatted him on the hand. The lady as we passed by said 'That was so funny, it was all I could do to keep a straight face.' I just smiled like, 'Oh good...glad you were entertained.' As I turned the corner I paused just to make sure she wasn't pulling out her cell phone to call C.P.S. She didn't...she continued looking at cereal and I forgot to buy cereal WHICH WAS WHY I WAS ON THE AISLE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I must admit...I'm laughing too. It's only funny when it's NOT your child. Ahhh...the many joys of parenthood. LOL

Jackie said...

And that, my friend, is the way it will be for the rest of your life! Ain't parenthood grand? I think so! love, J

All About the Arredondos said...

I am dying laughing! Ava has dfone the same thing to me so this is like deja vu :)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed