Tuesday, June 24, 2008

They Say it Comes in Threes...

***UPDATED ARTICLE ABOUT CAB DRIVER IS LISTED BELOW THE STORY ON #2***

I have always heard tragedies come in 3's and I'm hoping that we are done for a while...
1) Tim and I watch NHRA and Tim called me Saturday night to tell me that Scott Kalitta a Funny Car driver was killed while qualifying Saturday. His car burst into flames halfway down the track and then he hit a retaining wall going 300 mph! Some people would say, 'well that's what he gets for driving a Funny Car that fast'...to that I say, he would probably say to them that he died doing what he loved. To each his own right?
2) As Caden and I were turning down our street I saw a ton of cars parked in the church parking lot near our house and a lot of men out in the yard of one of our neighbors' homes. We jokingly see tons of cars somewhere and say, 'Wow, did someone die?' Well I said that to Tim and he said, 'How did you know?' The man who was killed was a cab driver who was murdered in Plano. Death also knows no racial/religious boundaries. The cab driver and his family had moved here from Iraq 4 years ago and as I dropped off food at their house yesterday, a man came out the front door to greet me and as I handed it over I said, 'I'm so sorry for your loss; your family will be in our prayers.' At that moment more than 6 men out of the 30 or so standing outside turned to me and said, 'thank you so much for your prayers'. I thought it was very poignant.
3) Lastly, there is a Methodist church down from our neighborhood and there is a stoplight at that church. A family of 5 (Father, Mother, 3 children) were killed when someone ran a red light at that intersection as they were leaving from church.
Anyway, just my random thoughts about how fragile life is and how we should all live each day to the utmost as if it were our last. Not trying to be morbid, just thought it was ironic that in one weekend, 3 families lives were changed forever.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Such a great reminder to cherish every moment as if it is your last. I feel for all those families.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad. Each one is so unique but pain beyond belief. My first reaction is hoping that each of them were Christians and knowing, that if they were, they are in Heaven with Jesus this very minute. Amber, you are so right that life is very fragile but I also believe it should be lived "full bore" knowing we have God to lead and direct us. Thank you for this reminder.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed