Monday, July 21, 2008

Is it that Bad?

So, I have Laryngitis...I've self-diagnosed myself because I'm a Medical Doctor (in my head)...Friday I left for work and felt great, by noon, the voice was gone. I was like, 'Am I in high school the day after a football game?'

Anyway, I have it:

Laryngitis is an inflammation of your voice box (larynx) due to overuse (insert snickering laugh), irritation or infection. Inside the larynx are your vocal cords — two folds of mucous membrane covering muscle and cartilage. Normally your vocal cords open and close smoothly, forming sounds through their movement and vibration. But in laryngitis, your vocal cords become inflamed or irritated. This swelling causes distortion of the sounds produced by air passing over them. As a result, your voice sounds hoarse. In some cases of laryngitis, your voice can become so faint as to be undetectable(ask my husband, he keeps saying 'What?' when I talk). I will say something and just because it doesn't come out, I'm thinking I'm talking..Laryngitis may be short-lived PLEASE LET IT BE SHORT-LIVED (acute) or long lasting (chronic). Most cases of laryngitis are triggered by temporary viral infection or vocal strain and are not serious. But persistent hoarseness can sometimes signal a more serious underlying medical condition.

So this morning I had to leave a message on our computer guy's cell phone telling him about a problem with our computer. He calls back and asks for Janis Joplin...REALLY?! Is it that bad?!
Anyway, just had to share...I feel great but sound like a chain-smoking bar fly...not that I would even know what 'they' sound like, but if I knew, I would think it would sound like me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the medical info! Let's hope you recover quiet quickly before you have to start signing, Janis!

I am Heather...creator of all things crafty! said...

Hey Janis, 1967 called and they want their pink and yellow floral poly vest back.

Lay off the cigars too! They're bad for your complexion.

Heather

Jamie said...

I didn't know an IT guy could have a sense of humor like that...I'm impressed! Since you have diagnosed yourself, you should now cure yourself. LOL

Seriously, I'm sorry you've lost your voice. Get well soon.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed